Tuesday 21 March 2017

EVALUATION Q2a: Audience

EVALUATION Q2a - HOW DOES YOUR PRODUCT ENGAGE WITH AUDIENCES?
In this post I will be addressing the key points about audience for the slasher genre and for many other genres. Also, I will be explaining the target audience for my film and how my media product attracts and engages with this specific audience. I have used many forms of illustration to discuss these points.

I decided to make a radio show with my classmate Richard, who is the radio presenter in this radio show.

Radio Show for Audience - with Richard Dannenberg
...
...
On top of a radio show to summarise this question, I also made an TV Show ('Vittel Show') interview for this question between me, Evie Gibbons, the director of the film 'Slaughter Revenge', and the presenter of the show who is asking me questions about the target audience for my film:
...

...
AGE
The primary audience of the slasher genre is primarily teenagers/young adults in the age range of 15-24. It is not so obvious why teenagers are drawn to the genre

"Critics of the genre argue that it is because of the frequent violence, nudity and sex that attracts them (Wong, 2004). Another reason for teenagers liking the genre, as Crane argues, is because violent films are frowned upon by cinema critics and authority figures so teenagers like to rebel against this and watch these films". 

https://levizilla.wordpress.com/junk/sep2009/ 

Another reason why I believe that teenagers are attracted to the genre is because the main protagonists of the films are usually teens. In these films, these teen characters usually have boyfriends and girlfriends, therefore are sexually active. They also do stereotypical teenage things like drinking alcohol, taking drugs, smoking, watching movies/going to the movies with popcorn etc. All these activities are very relatable to teens. Also, after doing some primary research, I discovered that most people believe that teenagers watch these films for the thrill/scare because they want to be excited and jump out of their seat. 

This research reflected the target age of the audience I would have for my film because my film is of the slasher genre also. So, I decided that the target age of the audience for my film is age 15-24.

GENDER
I believe that the slasher genre stereotypically attracts the male gender more than the female gender because of the gore, violence and scare. Males seek the thrill and action. I think the character of the 'scream queen' strongly attracts this male audience, on top of the action and violence in the film, because it is fulfilling their sexual desires. The character of the 'scream queen' is sometimes topless in slasher films and is usually sexually objectified in terms of clothing, cleavage showing, bust size and only being seen having sex or doing stuff with a boyfriend etc. This character is also usually attractive, glamorous, blonde, open about her sexuality, dumb and flirtatious. 

To attract, however, a female audience to the slasher genre, the character of the 'final girl' is used. The idea of the 'final girl' came from the theorist, Carole Clover. She argues that the hero of the slasher film is the final girl (the female main protagonist) therefore there is a strong female audience for the slasher genre. This character is usually nerdy, intelligent, studious, brunette or dusty blonde, resourceful, tough and a virgin. When you think about it, the 'final girl' character can also somewhat attract a male audience, because the killer usually preys on her throughout the film making her the targeted victim (vulnerable, submissive, weak) until the end of the film when she kills or survives the killer. Males prefer and relate to seeing male characters in power - the killer is usually a male and is in power throughout the majority of the film.

CLASS
I think that slasher films are primarily targeted at the working class community and students/young people in the E category of the socio-economic status (people in the class A-C1 are usually adults aged 25+). This is due to the fact that for a start, the primary audience of slasher films is teens. 

No comments:

Post a Comment